Dentures are artificial teeth on a metal or acrylic base. Dentures can be Removal or Fixed.
A Complete Denture is a removable prosthesis that replaces all teeth within an arch, thus some patients have only an upper denture, some only a lower and some have both upper and lower complete dentures.
Advantages of Complete Dentures
- Least costly treatment for replacing all teeth in an entire arch
- Esthetically pleasing
- Shortest treatment time from start to finish
Disadvantages of Complete Dentures
- They can feel very bulky, particularly upper dentures which cover the entire roof of the mouth
- Lower dentures are rarely as stable as upper dentures because of various muscles, including the tongue, which can dislodge the denture
- No matter how good a denture is made, some patients will never be able to have a comfortable and stable denture due to the anatomy of their jaws.
- A patient’s jaw changes over time and dentures have to be relined occasionally to remain stable.
- Types of Complete Dentures
- This type of Complete Denture involves having all of the teeth removed for at least 3-4 weeks prior to beginning fabrication of the denture. This allows the tissues to heal from the extractions so that the denture will fit accurately and the tissue underneath the denture is no longer healing and changing shape.
- Fabricating Complete Dentures in this way is very accurate, however if a patient does not already have a denture, they would be without teeth during this time. Reasonable so, most patients do not want to function without teeth during this time. This is where Immediate Dentures come into play which can be given immediately after extraction of all teeth.
Over-Dentures utilize either existing teeth or dental implants to rest the denture over the teeth/implant to aid in retention and stability. There are many different ways design over-dentures.Mostly fabricated to “snap” into place ,thereby giving better retention than the conventional dentures.
“Fixed” dentures are attached to “implants” The color of the acrylic matches and appears like the gums. They are convenient to use, prevent bone loss and are effective for chewing and speaking. They can replace multiple missing teeth and preserve the harmony of the environment inside the mouth. They also prevent “sinking in” of the cheeks and the “aged” appearance which comes with the loss of teeth and keep you looking younger. In case of these Implant supported dentures, the dentures lock on to the head of the implants facilitating in additional retention. These dentures can be removed by patients for cleaning purposes.
Consult our experts to know more about FIXED DENTURES.